Nothing says it more than someone's
experience ... but -- keep in mind -- this is NOT an isolated case; I have heard of many
beautiful pets die a needless death due to Teflon poisoning!
"I too lost my miniature macaw 2 weeks
ago. He died from the toxic fumes emanated by an overheated Teflon pot.....I cry and cry
the loss of a 5-year companion. Irreplaceable loss. Please spread the news---NOT to cook
with NON stick TEFLON cookware they are so deadly to birds!!!!" Giulia D. Colbacchini
Another list member drew my attention
to the following:
"The Long Island Parrot Society's loss
earlier this year of several wonderful birds due to the Teflon ingredient in the
lining of her new oven (oven-cleaning function overheated and could not be stopped) was
featured on a recent Fox News segment nationwide. The birds' owner is suing the mfr. of
the oven and the store that sold it to her."
Kay also points out that 1) many other
household appliances contain Teflon (sometimes by a different name), and bird owners
should be alert to this problem; and 2) many of the disasters occurred when non-stick
items were used by other than the owners of the item, such as a relative or visitor
unaware of the dangers. Overheated teflon causes "colorless and odorless
Kay in MartinDee's Woods, NY
Kay recommends Calphalon or stainless steel as
a safe alternative.
Play it safe with your birds!!!!